We are now in Iringa ready for Jeremy to do 5 weeks of Swahili school. The big accomplishment for the day involves Lily learning to pee on the ground. So far every time we have tried it she has ended up peeing on everything except the ground, including my feet and her clothes so, “Yay!! for Lily”. The challenge of the day yesterday was our cars brakes losing pressure early on in our 9 hour journey to Iringa. We heard a clunking noise and then lost pressure in the brakes. We pulled over at a petrol station. But, when we checked the brake fluid, it was fine. We didn’t know what to do, being not quite to any town and not knowing anything about vehicles. We prayed. Jer unplugged and plugged back in some things and I pumped the brakes and then they worked like normal. We didn’t have any more troubles in the rest of the 6 hours or so of driving. This did set us a bit behind schedule though and we barely pulled into the guest house in Iringa as the sun was setting. Our goal was to arrive before dark. Our other challenge on the drive was being pulled over for going 6 km over the speed limit. Mind you this is like less than 3 miles per hour over the speed limit. I (Jamie) was driving and after begging and saying (which really was true) that we didn’t have enough money to pay the fine and to feed the children lunch. We either had to do one or the other. And standing around for awhile in a stalemate, they finally let me go. That was when we decided that though, “Thank You Jesus!” they let us go, we probably needed to find a cash point and carry a bit more money with us in case we were pulled over again. That took more time off of the path trying to find a cash point that worked at a bank in Morogoro. Our challenge before we left to come to Iringa was that we didn’t realize that our vehicle only had 4 seatbelts. There wasn’t one in the middle of the back seat. We knew that it would not be ok to travel all the way to Iringa with one of us not in a seat belt but also knew that the only day our friend Ganana could help Jeremy find a seat belt and install it was on Friday. This being Africa, it is extremely difficult to accomplish something like this in just a Friday afternoon. Jeremy and Ganana picked up a mechanic friend and then traveled to 6 different shops all over Dar-es-Salaam looking for a seat belt and nobody had one. Then they went all the way back to the mechanics shop that they had picked him up at. The mechanic had an old rusted out Toyota Corolla in the back behind his shop that just had tons of stuff piled into it. They removed everything from the back seat, tore out the seat and underneath the seat found an old very dirty and a bit rusted seat belt that after a bit of scrubbing worked just fine. Then they had to drive to another shop to have it installed. Praise God!! It was starting to seem impossible but, as usual the Lord took care of us. Thanks for yours prayers, now you can see what the Lord is doing .
(Sorry no pictures yet, we’re still sorting out our internet connection and its too slow to get pictures up.)